Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

New Year's Eve has always been a time for looking back to the past, and more importantly, forward to the coming year. It's a time to reflect on the changes we want or need to make and resolve to follow through on those changes.

Yes, once again it’s time for me to pick a vice and try to turn it into a positive. I lay in bed last night thinking what should it be this year: smoking, weight loss, better organizational skills and give up procrastination? Hmm, there are just so many to choose from that it's hard to decide. Perhaps I’ll put them all on my resolution list and see which one really sticks.

Now that I have chosen my resolutions, I need help to succeed, and what does a librarian do? That’s right - I head for the self help collection at the library. Wow, there are hundreds of books on self help of all types. Here are a few of my choices:

  • A Woman’s Way: The Stop Smoking Book for Women by Mary Embree.
  • Simplify Your Work Life: Ways to Change the Way You Work So You Have More Time to Live by Elaine St James.
  • The Organized Parent: 365 Simple Solutions to Managing Your Home, Your Time, and Your Family’s Life by Christina Baglivi Tinglof.
  • Strong Women Eat Well by Miriam E Nelson, Ph.D.
  • The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Futness by Dave Ramsey
The books are now piled up on my desk just waiting for me to jump in wholeheartily with note pad at my side, ready to jot down every helpful hint I can find. I left plenty of books on the shelf so I invite all those who are making New Year's resolutions to come by the Library and check them out.

If you need some ideas, here is a list from Wikipedia. In the United States, the most popular goals include:

  • Pursue a satisfying and fulfilling career
  • Lose weight
  • Get out of debt
  • Become more organized
  • Maintain a diary
  • Save money
  • Improve grades
  • Get a better job
  • Get fit
  • Eat right
  • Get a better education
  • Drink less alcohol
  • Quit smoking
  • Reduce stress
  • Take a trip
  • Volunteer to help others
  • Be less grumpy
  • Be more independent
  • Learn something new (such as a foreign language or music)
  • Try to get up early in the morning
  • Time management
  • Help the poor
 However you decide to start the New Year, your Library is here to help you!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete