Friday, October 5, 2012

Searchasaurus: The Dinosaur with All the Answers

I'm not sure about anybody else out there, but I remember learning my letters and colors and numbers when I started kindergarten. Now I had the gist of how it all worked, but it was Mrs Malhew who taught me the fine art of smooth round little a's and straight pointy capital A's.  Today the kids are learning these things long before they see the traditional classroom.  And kids in elementary school are expected to do much more detailed reports with pictures included.

As I noted in my last blog post,  I was really impressed with the Reference database CREDO. So I just had to look for more great nuggets of knowledge. This time I went to the EBSCO Database and found 45 database titles that covered Academic Journals, Business Journals, Health and Nursing,Teacher Reference Center, Humanities, Hospitality and Tourism and much more. I have used a few of these on a regular basis helping high school and college students find sources for their research papers.

This time I wanted something for the little people and sure enough there it was, Searchasaurus.  Searchasaurus is an exciting and easy way for young students to experience online searching.  It is an animated interface with a dinosaur theme that encourages students to enhance and develop basic searching skills.  Students will be riveted by the colorful animation, complete with erupting volcanoes and a dinosaur guide, as they gather information on a wide range of topics.  Searchasaurus offers reading level limiters making it easy for students to read and research appropriately challenging materials.  Searchasaurus has a Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Pictures, Biographies and Teacher Resources.  Searchasaurus offers a tutorial to help parents and students navigate their way through the site and make research a pleasant endeavour rather than a task.

Did you know earth is not the only planet where lightening can be seen?  Scientists think that lightening can also be found on Venus, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune! Go check out Searchasaurus and other useful databases through MAGNOLIA which is totally free through your Library.

Happy Hunting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment