Thursday, August 13, 2009

Be-Friend your Library

It’s certainly true that one can never have too many friends. Did you know that Judge George Armstrong is on facebook and is ready and willing to confirm your friend requests?

Facebook has proved to be a useful networking tool ever since each of us on staff has gotten our own page. It does sometimes resemble a high school social circle with members competing to see who can accumulate the most friends, but it does have its benefits. I just returned from a week-long trip to New York and Boston, and I checked in on all my friends back home while I was wandering the northeast corridor.

One of my stops in New York was the grand New York Public Library on Fifth Avenue. Up on the third floor, where the beautifully painted cloud-filled ceiling soared above my head, the reading room was buzzing and vibrant. Row after row of public access computers were filled with folks doing just what I was doing – checking email and posting their status. Although it is strictly a research library, the pick up windows were bustling with patrons picking up requested books for in-house use.

Everywhere I went on my trip, from the riders on the Amtrak train to the New York City bus driver taking a break from her driving, I saw people reading. As a librarian, I found it very gratifying. I took the opportunity to finish reading The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It was excellent and deserves all the book club and discussion group attention it has been receiving. I can only hope the movie is up to the book.

Judge George Armstrong is indeed on facebook. Look “him” up, and friend him. That way you will get important updates about the Library, such as the design process of our new web site. We would love input on that subject and on any programs our friends would like to see started.

We're also on Twitter as NatchezLibrary.

Be-friend your Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment